    Re: [Fwd: iSCSI - revised 2.2.4]

    Santosh,

    The reason I am hesitant on accepting this change proposal as is that it
    might makes the negotiation very much state dependent and different for
    keys that have a default and keys that don't have one.  In addition it may
    change login behavior for different versions of the protocol that may have
    different defaults.   I admit that it has appeal for the login (where the
    defaults are relevant) by shortening some negotiations.

    However the issues it raises are multiple. Assume that you have the
    following sequence:

    I->T key1=x
    T->I key1=z,key2=a
    I->T key2=b

    Observe that the initiator designer was very conservative and probably
    intended to negotiate the keys one at a time
    while the target is aggressive and wants to set everything as soon as
    possible.

    With the defaults rule the results are harder to define.

    With the rules we have now the results are hardly dependent on sequence.

    Add to this that with the new rules about PDULength exchanges are hardly
    "self contained" - i.e. key=value pairs can span sequences (that was
    another reasons I did not like this but framing at high speeds has
    precedence!).

    However we might perhaps want to consider the following loose rule for
    defaults in the context of operational parameter negotiation at login only
    (leaving the negotiation rules as they are):

    If the initiator issues a login request with the F bit set to 1 is assumed
    to have an imaginary content including all the operational keys that have a
    default value and where not sent yet by the initiator during login and
    their values set to the default value.

    Comments?

    Julo

    PS - and a procedural thing - nagging me repeatedly on a subject is
    annoying and quoting the number of agreements before attempting different
    scenarios is even more so

                        Santosh Rao
                        <santoshr@cup.       To:     IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                        hp.com>              cc:
                        Sent by:             Subject:     [Fwd: iSCSI - revised 2.2.4]
                        owner-ips@ece.
                        cmu.edu

                        11-10-01 01:36
                        Please respond