    RE: iSCSI: ISID and the New Persistent Reservations Proposals

    John,

    Thanks, that's a useful summary.  There are some important points to add.

    > However, proposal #1 needs a unique ISID, and can not use a dynamically
    > created SSID generated by each target Port.

    Or it needs an iSCSI text key to serve the port naming function of the ISID
    - the reason to do this rather than the ISID is that it cleanly splits
    persistent reservation management away from iSCSI session management.
    This has a couple of advantages:
    - It allows us to exactly accommodate whatever T10 does by defining the
    	semantics of the text key appropriately.  We won't have the same
    	degree of flexibility in redefining ISID behavior.
    - It allows us to resolve the "blow it away" issue caused by ISID reuse
    	without having to trade off aspects of that resolution against
    	consequences for proposal #1, whose status in T10 is unknown.
    I would prefer deferring this whole issue of "New Persistent Reservation
    Proposals" until T10's direction is clear, and in the interim advise
    T10 that proposal #1 is a poor fit to iSCSI.

    As I indicated earlier, ISIDs in their current form aren't sufficient
    to deal with proposal #1 - while the specification will map onto iSCSI,
    the current specification of ISIDs will not ensure that the added
    functionality will work as intended.  We would have to significantly
    expand the ISID rule to do so (that expansion will be problematic),
    and hence if proposal #1 is adopted, we may wind up with not only
    the ISID, but also a text key to deal with the resulting mismatch.
    This is one more reason to stop trying to design in anticipation of
    what T10 may or may not do.

    > Now you also have to ensure that upon a Target Boot, (which has to
    remember
    > the Persistent Reservation Status), it needs to also remember the high
    > water mark of ISIDs given out to each Initiator Node.  With that high
    water
    > mark the Target can continue assigning the ISIDs for that Initiator Node.
    > Then I think your words were do not aggressively reused ISIDs.  I think
    > that if the Target has not gone down for a day or so, ISIDs not in use
    > might be re-used, etc.
    >
    > We have 65K valid values per Initiator Node so reuse should not be a
    problem.

    This is actually a "SHOULD", not a "MUST", because a properly coded
    Initiator
    can figure out what's going on even if TSIDs (ISIDs in the above paragraph)
    are reused with some care.  I'll spare everyone the details, as they're a
    bit
    subtle and deal with a situation in which the Target has already made a
    mistake
    (lost a persistent reserve), and hence it's reasonable to wonder what else
    the Target will get wrong.  We agree that it's better to avoid depending on
    completely correct behavior in this sort of error situation.

    > So anyway, as good engineers we have been able to come up with something
    > that works.  The problem that the N & D team had is, so what.  What we
    have
    > now works, and has a smaller impact on the Target.

    I'm not sure that what we have now "works" courtesy of the Option A/Option B
    issue on when a Target is supposed to blow away a previous session.  The
    current requirement that the Initiator specify the ISID, along with the
    expectation that ISID values will be aggressively reused is the direct cause
    of that problem.  The best solution I've seen to it is to remove ISIDs,
    yielding a clear distinction between an Initiator who specifies a TSID
    (wants its old state back) vs. sends 0 as the TSID (wants a brand new
    session).

    I also take issue with the "smaller impact on the Target" statement
    above -- it may be based on the incorrect assumption that Targets would
    have to manage ISIDs in addition to TSIDs.  ISIDs can be removed in their
    entirety, and TSID management would continue to work in essentially the
    current fashion.  There's been at least one statement on the list that
    having Targets completely control the allocation of identifiers used to
    manage target resources (e.g., persistent reserves) simplifies Targets.

    > I had sent a note in previously that explained that if we have a way to
    set
    > the iSCSI Initiator Node Name then we must have a way to set the ISID by
    > the Initiator Node.  Therefore, the question goes, why get the Target
    > involved.

    Wrong question, IMHO.  Try "If TSIDs already solve the problem, why get the
    Initiator involved?" :-).  Those who want to keep the ISID need to defend
    the additional complexity that it adds to the protocol, rather than
    uniformly
    criticize any proposed change as disruptive, IMHO.

    As to the statement that the ISID can be configured to an HBA in the same
    manner as the iSCSI Initiator Node Name, I observe that fewer things to
    configure lead to fewer opportunities to make mistakes and better scaling
    of management.

    > Therefore, additional routines on the Target for handing out ISIDs should
    > not be needed.

    I agree, just get rid of ISIDs entirely :-).

    Persistence
> [...]
    > session.  If you combine with that, the rule that if the Initiator Port
    > sets and sends its own ISID  on the Login the Target will accept it, and
    > then use the Full Initiator Port Name to check for Persistent Reserves, I
    > think we approach a working solution.
    >
    > Now you also have to ensure that upon a Target Boot, (which has to
    remember
    > the Persistent Reservation Status), it needs to also remember the high
    > water mark of ISIDs given out to each Initiator Node.  With that high
    water
    > mark the Target can continue assigning the ISIDs for that Initiator Node.
    > Then I think your words were do not aggressively reused ISIDs.  I think
    > that if the Target has not gone down for a day or so, ISIDs not in use
    > might be re-used, etc.
    >
    > We have 65K valid values per Initiator Node so reuse should not be a
    problem.

    > OK now lets review what we have said.  There is a way for a very simple
    > routine on the Target to assign the ISIDs.  If Sent an ISID in the Login
    it
    > should accept it (if it can), and check on persistent reserves of type #0,
    > or #1.  The Initiator can save the ISID, in case it goes down and want to
    > come back up, and reclaim the reserves, or it can blow the reserves away
    > and start again with a Target assigned ISID.
    >
    > OK now in one of your last notes, I think you said a similar thing.  This
    > is also what I attempted to explain to the N &D team.
    >
    > So anyway, as good engineers we have been able to come up with something
    > that works.  The problem that the N & D team had is, so what.  What we
    have
    > now works, and has a smaller impact on the Target.
    >
    > So if it works we need to decide if we should do it or NOT, and focus the
    > conversation on that.
    >
    > I had sent a note in previously that explained that if we have a way to
    set
    > the iSCSI Initiator Node Name then we must have a way to set the ISID by
    > the Initiator Node.  Therefore, the question goes, why get the Target
    > involved.
    >
    > Here is what I said in another note:
    >
    > If you accept that HBAs should get the iSCSI Initiator Node Name passed to
    > it in some manner from the OS, then we did not see why it can not get the
    > ISID at the same time also.  If one were to argue that the HBA can not get
    > the iSCSI Initiator Node Name, I think this is a bit strange, since almost
    > every thing I install in systems, has to go through some type of Wizard,
    or
    > vendor install routine  that actually installs the support driver, etc.
    > (This is all set when the OS is fully up and the Registry etc. is clearly
    > available.)  I would expect that with current OSs, this would be a normal
    > approach.  In the future, I suppose it might be possible that  the OSs
    > might have a more dynamic routine to hand out the iSCSI Initiator Node
    Name
    > and ISID so that Hot Swap HBAs could come up without effort.  However,
    > until then, I am not sure it is unreasonable for a vendor to require the
    > customer to run an update routine,  even after performing an HBA Hot Swap.
    >
    > There is of course, the first up boot situation.  I think it should be
    > possible to have a default, first time HBA boot Name that uses the iqn
    form
    > of the iSCSI Name, and an ISID of FFFF (not 0 as said previously).  This
    > should be enough to bring up a "first time up boot", since after the OS is
    > started, the approprate install routine should be kicked off, and the real
    > iSCSI Initiator Node Name and real ISID set in the Flash for that, and any
    > other iSCSI HBAs.
    >
    > By the way I have a SCSI HBA in my personal system that runs its own BIOS
    > routine and when it comes up, but before it boots, it asks questions if
    > needed or just announces it is there.  Configuration value can be entered
    > at that time.  So even that approach is possible.
    >
    > So based on the above, I do not think requiring the HBAs to have an
    > install/update routine (which sets its Flash) is even a problem.
    >
    > This means that a Single iSCSI Initiator Node Name should be easy to
    obtain
    > and will apply for all the iSCSI Initiators, whether HW or SW. And
    likewise
    > it should be straight forward to secure the ISID at the same time.  All
    > this following well understood current install processes.
    >
    > Therefore, additional routines on the Target for handing out ISIDs should
    > not be needed.
    >
    > OK, I tried to bring all the ISID issues together here so we could all
    > examine them.  I hope this was useful.
    >

    > .
    > .
    > .
    > John L. Hufferd
    > Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    > IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    > Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    > Home Office (408) 997-6136
    > Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

Last updated: Fri Oct 05 12:17:48 2001
7070 messages in chronological order