    Re: iscsi : numerical negotiation wording is ambiguous

    Julian,

    Thanks for incorporating the proposed change ! I suggest that all forms
    of negotiation use the same model. This includes login stage
    negotiation, binary key negotiation , list negotiation & numerical
    negotiation. The responder always sends back the result of the
    negotiation. The negotiation rules continue to apply. Only, they are now
    to be computed at 1 place alone, which is the target.

    In addition, I also suggest that the initiator always be considered
    originator & the target a responder. This is because the initiator
    ALWAYS makes the initial key offering, either explicitly or implicitly
    thru the use of a default.

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > Well - even I got fed-up with this long thread.
    >
    > Here the new text I am suggesting for the negotiations ("vox populi"):
    >
    > In numerical negotiations, the offering and responding party state a
    > numerical value. The result of the negotiation is key dependent;
    > frequently the lower or the higher of the two values is used.
    >
    > For numerical negotiations, the responding party MUST respond with the
    > required key and the value it selects, based on the selection rule
    > specific to the key, becomes the negotiation result.  Selection of a
    > value not admissible under the selection rules is considered a
    > protocol error and handled accordingly.
    >
    > For Boolean negotiations (keys taking the values yes or no), the
    > result is a key dependent Boolean function of the two inputs. The
    > negotiation MAY proceed only up to the point where both parties can
    > unequivocally compute the result; continuing beyond this point is
    > OPTIONAL (e.g., if the function is AND and one of the parties says
    > "no" then this may end the negotiation). Both requestor and responder
    > MUST to compute the negotiated value based on the new value(s)
    > exchanged
    >
    > The value "?" with any key has the meaning of enquiry and should be
    > answered with the current value or "NotUnderstood".
    >
    > The target may offer key=value pairs of its own. Target requests are
    > not limited to matching key=value pairs as offered by the initiator.
    >  However, only the initiator can initiate the negotiation start
    > (through the first Text request) and completion (by setting to 1 and
    > keeping to 1 the F bit in a Text request).
    >
    > Unless specified otherwise the negotiation process is stateless (based
    > only on newly presented values).
    >
    > Comments?
    > Julo

Last updated: Thu Oct 04 21:17:27 2001