    RE: iSCSI: ISID issue

    David,
    We spent a lot of time yesterday at the end of the Naming and Discovery
    Team (NDT) meeting, trying to rectify everything that you and Jim had been
    sending notes about.  We tried to see if we could fully understand the
    various positions.  I even argued your position regarding the Target
    handling out the ISID but the group beat me back with their logic.  And
    that Logic was included in Jim's latest Note.  Sorry I could not do a
    better Job of representing your position.

    However, there were some other things that we batted around that I will
    cover here.  First, the Name which you want to work with in the iSCSI ACLs
    is the iSCSI Initiator Node Name.  That should be the same for ALL iSCSI
    Initiators in a Host Node.  If vendors attempt to use anything else, I
    think they are not following the spec.  And should be sent to Singapore for
    Caning :-)

    If you accept that HBAs should get the iSCSI Initiator Node Name passed to
    it in some manner from the OS, then we did not see why it can not get the
    ISID at the same time also.  If one were to argue that the HBA can not get
    the iSCSI Initiator Node Name, I think this is a bit strange, since almost
    every thing I install in systems, has to go through some type of Wizard, or
    vendor install routine  that actually installs the support driver, etc.
    (This is all set when the OS is fully up and the Registry etc. is clearly
    available.)  I would expect that with current OSs, this would be a normal
    approach.  In the future, I suppose it might be possible that  the OSs
    might have a more dynamic routine to hand out the iSCSI Initiator Node Name
    and ISID so that Hot Swap HBAs could come up without effort.  However,
    until then, I am not sure it is unreasonable for a vendor to require the
    customer to run an update routine,  even after performing an HBA Hot Swap.

    There is of course, the first up boot situation.  I think it should be
    possible to have a default, first time HBA boot Name that uses the iqn form
    of the iSCSI Name, and an ISID of 0.  This should be enough to bring up a
    "first time up boot", since after the OS is started, the approprate install
    routine should be kicked off, and the real iSCSI Initiator Node Name and
    real ISID set in the Flash for that, and any other iSCSI HBAs.

    So based on the above, I do not think requiring the HBAs to have an
    install/update routine (which sets its Flash) is even a problem.

    This means that a Single iSCSI Initiator Node Name should be easy to obtain
    and will apply for all the iSCSI Initiators, whether HW or SW.

    When Jim talked about the new SCSI idea that would have Persistent Reserves
    being tied to the Initiator Node,  it seemed clear to me, and I think to
    the others on the team, that the iSCSI Initiator Node Name was ideal to be
    used for that purpose.  Jim pointed out, again to us, that this name was
    NOT part of any other Nexus meaning, it is only to be used with Persistent
    Reserves.   All other Nexus meanings are against the iSCSI Initiator's FULL
    NAME which is the  iSCSI initiator Node Name and the ISID.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Black_David@emc.com@ece.cmu.edu on 10/03/2001 12:23:42 PM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu