    RE: iscsi : DataPDULength can differ in each direction.

    	Can someone give a tangible benefit to this that can outweigh the
    spec and implementation churn at this late stage of the game?

    	From my point of view the benefit of asymmetric PDU sizes would have
    to be very large to make it worth the extra complexity in buffer
    management code alone.

    	- Rod

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Ayman Ghanem
    Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 8:29 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iscsi : DataPDULength can differ in each direction.

    Well, the proposal says:

    	Each side should be allowed to specify the DataPDULength it will be
    	using and there should be no attempt to negotiate this value. Rather,
    	the key is exchanged in either direction to inform the other side as
    	what sized PDUs it should expect.

    So, I understand that as if the initiator sends
    DataPDULength=reallyBigNumber, then it is informing the target that
    this is
    what it will be using, but the target should not attempt to negotiate
    it.

    -Ayman

    Of
    > Buck Landry
    > Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 2:13 PM
    > To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > Subject: RE: iscsi : DataPDULength can differ in each direction.
    >

    > It may add complexity, but, since DataPDULength is only a boundary
    on
    > the maximum number of bytes transmitted in a Data PDU (not the
    minimum),
    > "the first" *does* have a say about it.  Right?

    CRCs
    > having
    > to be calculated based on two different PDU sizes for Reads and
    Writes.
    > Also, one end may choose to do data digests in software. If the
    other
    > end
    > decides to use a really large PDU length (and the first doesn't have
    > say
    > about it), this could be a problem.
    >
    > -Ayman
    >
    > <snip>