    RE: iSCSI: Inquiry, Mode Sense, Read Capacity

    The governing text is the following from p.62 of -08 on the contents of
    the Response PDU:

         3.4.6 Data Segment - Sense and Response Data Segment

            iSCSI targets MUST support and enable autosense.  If Status is CHECK

            CONDITION (0x02), then the Data Segment contains sense data for the
            failed command.

            For some iSCSI responses, the response data segment MAY contain some

            response related information, (e.g., for a target failure it may
            contain a vendor specific detailed description of the failure).

    Julian may be able to shed more light on the intended meaning of
    "phase collapse" for the response case, but the above text makes
    it quite clear that data transferred by the action of a SCSI command
    (including Read, Inquiry, Mode Sense, and Read Capacity) cannot be
    put in the Response PDU.  A target can send the Response PDU immediately
    following the last Data-In PDU for the associated command, which is
    similar to the ability of an Initiator to send unsolicited Data-Out
    PDUs.  There is no Target analog to the Initiator's ability to send
    Immediate Data in the same PDU as the SCSI command.

Last updated: Wed Oct 03 15:17:26 2001
7007 messages in chronological order