    Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings - Consensus call

    Ralph,

    That was the path and endlless-month mail exchange (with very little new
    argument in each round) has brought us.
    In summary:

       it was considered bad form to leave 2 layers (the layering argument) own
       (change) mode page variable
       we attempted to segregate the variables and argue that the burst-sizes
       are used by iSCSI but their values will be dictated by SCSI as they
       determine the multiplexing capabilities of the transport
       against this the argument was made that the mode page mechanism is hard
       to handle and a specific protocol has anyhow a mode page setup that is
       specific (that is not the current practice but is not explicitly
       forbidden by SPC)
       with all the above it makes little sense to support any mode page
       content (as SCSI can't control any value)

    My question is - would returning the mode pages with a read-only content
    make any-sense (considering that SCSI can't directly control the burst
    values and that is the only reason SCSI may want them)?

    The alternative would be (as I attempted) to leave both burst values under
    SCSI control (where layering will require them to be) against which a
    majority (of 2) brought the "very hard to handle" argument (which BTW has
    some ground as text mode negotiations are easier than the set/enquiry ) and
    reopen the consensus-call.

                        Ralph Weber
                        <ralphoweber@compu       To:     IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                        serve.com>               cc:
                        Sent by:                 Subject:     Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page
                        owner-ips@ece.cmu.        settings - Consensus call
                        edu

                        01-10-01 17:56
                        Please respond to
                        ENDL_TX

    Santosh,

    I was not aware that you were proposing that iSCSI
    not support the Disconnect-Reconnect mode page at
    all.  Now that would be a radical step.

    If on the other hand you are proposing that iSCSI
    have a Maximum Burst Size but refuse to provide
    that information in the Disconnect-Reconnect mode
    page whose page code iSCSI devices accept, then
    I think you are at least violating the ISP charter
    as regards interactions with T10 standards (specifically
    SPC-2).

    This is my rather strongly held opinion and unless
    you find an argument that is substantially better
    than anything presented to date I expect to maintain
    this opinion to the bitter end.

    Ralph Weber

Last updated: Tue Oct 02 13:17:20 2001
6963 messages in chronological order