    Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings - Consensus call

    I object to the proposal that Maximum Burst Size
    be made "reserved" in the Disconnect-Reconnect
    mode page. iSCSI has a Maximum Burst Size and
    I read SPC-2 to promise applications that such
    a value will appear in the proper field in the
    Disconnect-Reconnect mode page.

    Recourse to the SPI-4 definition of First Burst Size
    is a lame defense since SPI-4 simply has no First
    Burst Size concept to present in the Disconnect-
    Reconnect mode page. First Burst Size was invented
    for FCP-2 and never had any meaning for the
    parallel SCSI bus.

    Since SCSI-2 there has been a promise that the
    Maximum Burst Size field in the Disconnect-Reconnect
    mode page will have meaning. Any application that
    sees zero (the preferred value for "reserved") in
    that field has every right to assume it means what
    SPC-2 says zero means, to whit: "A value of zero
    indicates there is no limit on the amount of data
    transferred per data transfer operation."

    I disapprove of the proposal that First Burst Size
    be made "reserved" in the Disconnect-Reconnect
    mode page, since iSCSI has a First Burst Size
    value that could appear in the mode page. But
    owning to the parallel SCSI usage, the most that
    can be said about iSCSI making the field reserved
    is that doing so would be very bad form.

    There is no basis for insisting that either of
    these parameters be "changeable" via a MODE SELECT
    command, and I leave that choice to iSCSI.

    However, you all might consider remaining silent on
    the subject and thus allowing vendors whose customers
    have real needs the option of making the parameters
    changeable without failing to meet iSCSI compliance
    tests.

    Knowing when to say nothing also is part of the
    art of standards writing.

    Thanks for your consideration.

    Ralph Weber
    SPC-2 technical editor