    RE: iscsi : iscsi parameter default values

    Robert,
    We have had this debate before, and I guess the sides are still polarized.
    However, a number of folks believe that immediate is easier to handle then
    R2T (since all the information they need is with the PDU), and the
    conservative option.  The main discussion has been since they also want to
    have  R2T they did not want to have two code paths. However, when folks
    have looked at the effort to support immediate data, they have found it to
    be trivial.

    The payback of NOT having multiple round trips to get the data is an
    important feature, and when you think about all the error recovery items we
    have been discussing, it is clear that immediate data makes every thing
    easier.

    The important performance improvements are so important to iSCSI (in my
    mind) that if the worse the Target has to do if it can not handle immediate
    data, is to send the Text Key of "ImmediateData=no", I do not think this is
    a problem.  We need to have this performance feature thought about as a
    normal property of iSCSI, so that every one that talks about the advantages
    of iSCSI can include this, with out a bunch of qualifying statements.
    Having this as the default is one way to keep this thought at the front of
    everyone's mind.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Robert Snively <rsnively@brocade.com> on 09/28/2001 08:25:45 AM