    RE: ISCSI: question about text command data

    • To: ietf-ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: ISCSI: question about text command data
    • From: Bart Crane <bcrane@iready.com>
    • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:50:40 -0700
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Title: RE: ISCSI: question about text command data

    Because there is no guarantee that the terminating nul is actually there, you have to examine every character up to the last according to the data segment size.  Thus, "at least one" has negligible effect on performance.

    Some implementations may keep their strings on 4- or 8-byte boundaries, zero-padded to a multiple of 4 bytes, use 2 fewer bits to represent their size, and dma them directly into the network adapter.  In this case, "only one" could impact performance negatively.

    The double-null can be handy, but it can also be viewed as a waste of a byte;  an "implied" terminating null exists at the character pointed to in the data segment at the offset specified by the size of the data segment.  And because that null is not guaranteed to be there, it may as well exist by implication only.

    I vote for "at least one" null.