    Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings.

    Julian,

    I think too, that having First burst size set via the
    Disconnect-Reconnect Page is wrong for iSCSI.

    Let's me explain why.

    1) In the case the target during a mode select accept
    blindly a new value

    It is like each web browsers where starting to impose/tweak
    the internal buffer management on a web server without
    its authorization... It would be quickly a mess.

    2) In the case the target doesn't allow to set the value

    No need to have it in the mode page

    3) If the target negociates the value
    It is a very painfull process involving several commands
    Better to do it through the login key.

    4) There is no deterministic behavior on the target
    depending on where the target attach the mode page.

    5) About QOS, there are more dynamic/efficient ways
    to achieve it than juggling on the fly
    with the mode page setting.

    The First burst size in the Dis/Recon mode page
    was tailored for the early time of SCSI when their where
    one/a few initiator per target and when the target was so dumb
    that the initiator could/had to impose it what to use
    in order to have good performance.

    This doesn't apply anymore.

    I agree with the arguments of the other objectors
    too.

    Regards,

    Pierre

    Julian Satran wrote:

    Sanjeev,

    We can set any of those parameters wherever you want as its clearly a
    protocol prerogative.
    The one thing that I am trying to avoid is having one parameter being
    handled in two ways (It caused me more trouble that it was worth in the
    past and required a lot of logic).
    As such we have two consideration when selecting location:

       legacy
       what layer is the most affected by it

    It looks to me that association of sink buffers at targets is mostly a SCSI
    issue and it is dependent on the device type,  the relative speed of the
    transport and device, QOS requirements at device.  Data is already in the
    SCSI realm (not anymore individual PDUs but sequences that are governed by
    SCSI needs and (including fairness rules between LUs attached to the same
    bus). That is why we have those bursts - iSCSI does not need them - SCSI
    may need them for multiplexing and buffer limitations of its own.   As far
    as iSCSI is concerned bursts are just trouble.  But without them a pipe
    with a limited window will serve one LU and even beyond it's real
    capabilites.   The multiplexing capability is needed by SCSI and is offered
    in different ways on different transports. Some "buses" have a "built-in"
    multiplexing capability. TCP does not and iSCSI adds it to it by the "burst
    limitation".

    All this said and based on an earlier comment made by Bob Snively that this
    could be a good criteria for splitting parameters between text and mode
    pages - I think that the split we have now, even if not built according to
    every developers wet dreams, is reasonable.

    Julo

                        "Sanjeev Bhagat
                        \(TRIPACE/Zoetermee       To:     "Santosh Rao" <santoshr@cup.hp.com>, John
                        r\)"                       Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
                        <iscsi_t10@sanjeevb       cc:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,
                        hagat.com>                 <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                                                  Subject:     Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page
                        25-09-01 01:58             settings.
                        Please respond to
                        "Sanjeev Bhagat
                        \(TRIPACE/Zoetermee
                        r\)"

    Julian, Santosh,

    Can we make all the SCSI mode page paramters be made as login keys? Why
    should they be kept in a seperate mode page at all??

    Sanjeev