                        <sanjay_goyal@iv       To:     "'Robert D. Russell'"
                        ivity.com>              <rdr@mars.iol.unh.edu>, Julian
                                                Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
                        22-09-01 01:49         cc:     Sanjay Goyal
                        Please respond          <sanjay_goyal@ivivity.com>
                        to Sanjay Goyal        Subject:     RE: iSCSI: PDU formats

    Hi
     One more request for PDU formats.
     When we are aligning Response/Status bytes, why should we leave poor
    Reason
    byte alone in Reject PDUs. It also can be moved to Byte-2 of first word,
    which is used for Response. IMO, Response is similar to the Reason of
    Reject
    PDUs.

    Regards
    Sanjay Goyal

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Robert D. Russell [mailto:rdr@mars.iol.unh.edu]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 10:44 AM
    To: Julian Satran
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: PDU formats

    Julian:

    I would like to request 3 small changes in the format of some of
    the PDUs.  One of the design features that you have employed
    very successfully to date is to have a given field, such as the
    "Initiator Task Tag" for example, always appear in the same position
    (bytes 16-19) in any PDU in which it appears.  This makes it easy
    to understand, to implement, and to debug.  However, a few small
    inconsistencies in the application of this design principle have
    crept in with draft 7, and I would like to propose that we fix them.

    1.  In draft 6 the SCSI Response PDU had one Status/Response field
               in byte 3 -- in draft 7-90 it now has a Status field in byte 2
               and a Response field in byte 3.  In draft 6 the Data-in PDU also
               had a Status field in byte 3, and in draft 7-90 it is still in
               byte 3, with byte 2 unused (reserved).  Would you please either:

               a.        Reorder the bytes in the SCSI Response PDU so that the
    Status
                         field will be in byte 3 (so it is consistent with the
    Data-in
                         PDU) and the Response field will be in byte 2; or

               b.        Move the status field in the Data-in PDU from byte 3
    to byte
    2
                         (so it remains consistent with the SCSI Response PDU).

               I would prefer alternative a. because it would leave the Data-in
               PDU unchanged for drafts 6, 7 and 8, and the SCSI Response PDU
               has to change in any case.  However, obviously either solution
               would work.

    2.         In draft 7-90, a field called "Response" appears in 3 PDUs:

               a.        In byte 36 of the Task Management Response PDU.
               b.        In byte 36 of the Logout Response PDU.
               c.        In byte 2 (if my request 1a above is taken) in the
                         SCSI Response PDU.  This is clearly inconsistent with
    a and
    b.

               Since bytes 2 and 3 are currently unused (reserved) in both
               the Task Management Response PDU and the Logout Response PDU,
               the simplest solution would be to move the "Response" field in
               those 2 PDUs to byte 2 in order to be consistent with the SCSI
               Response PDU.  To keep the design clean, the new "Qualifier"
    field
               in the Task Management Response PDU should probably also be
               moved to byte 3.

    3.         In draft 7-90 the Login and Login Response PDUs have been
    modified
               with the introduction of the T, C, and CNxSG fields in byte 37.
               However, in the Login Response PDU these fields overlay the
               Status-Detail field, which is also in byte 37.  Although the way
               to interpret this field is uniquely determined by the context,
               it is context dependent and I believe that this will lead to a
    lot
               of needless errors in coding, and that it also makes debugging
    more
               difficult, because the use of this byte changes during the login
    phase
               exchanges.  This means that you can't always look at it the same
    way.
               To avoid this overlay, would you please move the new fields
               (T, C, and CNxSG) to one of the currently unused bytes.  Many
    bytes
               (2, 10-11, 20-23, 38-39, 40-47) are currently unused in both of
    these
               PDUs, so there would appear to be no urgent need to overlay the
    new
               fields on top of an existing field in order to save space.

    Thanks,

    Bob Russell
    InterOperability Lab
    University of New Hampshire