    Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings.

    That is not my reading of the map. The unsolicited payload buffer size is a
    "data sink" attribute. The data sink is the SCSI engine and not the iSCSI
    layer.

    Julo

                        Santosh Rao
                        <santoshr@cup.       To:     ips@ece.cmu.edu
                        hp.com>              cc:
                        Sent by:             Subject:     Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode
                        owner-ips@ece.        page settings.
                        cmu.edu

                        21-09-01 21:50
                        Please respond
                        to Santosh Rao

    Julian,

    The FirstBurstSize is governing an iscsi parameter which is : "how much
    un-solicited
    data can the initiator send" ? I concur with Charles' suggestion that
    FirstBurstSize be
    moved to a login key.

    By doing this, we can improve scan times, due to the elimination of the
    mode
    sense/select & avoid the side effects of shared mode pages. This allows
    easier use of
    un-solicited data.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > Separation of parameters was made on a (very good) sugestion made by
    Robert
    > Snively - to keep SCSI affecting values (SCSI buffer sizes etc.) in mode
    > pages and iSCSI related in key=value.
    >
    > Julo
    >

    >                     "Binford,
    >                     Charles"             To:     IPS Reflector
    <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    >                     <CBinford@piru       cc:
    >                     s.com>               Subject:     RE: iscsi : default
    iscsi mode
    >                     Sent by:              page settings.
    >                     owner-ips@ece.
    >                     cmu.edu
    >

    >                     21-09-01 16:54
    >                     Please respond
    >                     to "Binford,
    >                     Charles"
    >

    > Santosh,  I fully agree with the intent of your comments.  One small
    > problem, however, is you argue for FirstBurstSize = 0.  Based on your
    other
    > comments I believe you are saying first burst should be disabled.  SPC-2
    > (and I see nothing in iSCSI to change this) defines firstBurstSize of 0
    > mean "no limit".  I believe that is exactly the opposite of what your are
    > arguing for.  The mode page field of firstFirstSize does not have or need
    > the concept of zero blocks allowed because the feature is is enabled /
    > disabled via other methods; process login parameters in FCP, initialR2T
    and
    > ImmediateData text parameters.
    >
    > So, we have the problem of how does a host that wants to use immediate or
    > unsolicited data know how much he can send.  Options I see are:
    > - define a default value for the mode page (current method in iSCSI
    spec).
    >   As I argued in previous posting, I believe this breaks basic mode page
    > concepts of SCSI.
    >
    > - force the host to issue a mode sense before the first command with
    > Data-Out.
    >   Not desirable, as Santosh argued in another email.
    >
    > - specify the amount of data the host send before the R2T during login as
    > text parameter
    >   What I prefer.
    >
    > If we go with the last choice, then one has the question of what to do
    with
    > firstBurstSize in the mode page. Two options come to mind:
    > - reflect the login specified value in firstburstsize during mode sense.
    >   Memory says this is how it used to be?
    >
    > - do nothing with it.  Let iSCSI say that parameter in the mode page has
    no
    > meaning for the iSCSI protocol.  Move the "firstBurstSize" concept to the
    > iSCSI login/text parameters and let it stay there, don't try to tie it in
    > the mode pagan at all.  (my preferred choice)
    >
    > Charles Binford
    > Pirus Networks
    > 316.315.0382 x222

    #### santoshr.vcf has been removed from this note on September 22 2001 by
    Julian Satran

Last updated: Sun Sep 23 20:17:21 2001
6682 messages in chronological order