    Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings.

    I just forgot - I had it on my list several times.  0 means no limit -Julo

                        Santosh Rao
                        <santoshr@cup.       To:     IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                        hp.com>              cc:
                        Sent by:             Subject:     Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode
                        owner-ips@ece.        page settings.
                        cmu.edu

                        21-09-01 19:26
                        Please respond
                        to Santosh Rao

    Charles,

    "Binford, Charles" wrote:

    > Santosh,  I fully agree with the intent of your comments.  One small
    > problem, however, is you argue for FirstBurstSize = 0.  Based on your
    other
    > comments I believe you are saying first burst should be disabled.  SPC-2
    > (and I see nothing in iSCSI to change this) defines firstBurstSize of 0
    > mean "no limit".

    You raise a good point here. Note that the iscsi definition of
    FirstBurstSize
    in its disconnect-reconnect mode page differs from SPC-2 definition in that
    it
    is silent about the semantics of a 0 value for the FirstBurstSize. Perhaps,
    Julian can comment on whether this was intentional to indicate that 0
    implies
    no buffer available, or was an omission, in which case the wording needs to
    be
    fixed.

    > I believe that is exactly the opposite of what your are
    > arguing for.  The mode page field of firstFirstSize does not have or need
    > the concept of zero blocks allowed because the feature is is enabled /
    > disabled via other methods; process login parameters in FCP, initialR2T
    and
    > ImmediateData text parameters.
    >
    > So, we have the problem of how does a host that wants to use immediate or
    > unsolicited data know how much he can send.

    Agreed.

    > Options I see are:
    > - define a default value for the mode page (current method in iSCSI
    spec).
    >   As I argued in previous posting, I believe this breaks basic mode page
    > concepts of SCSI.
    >
    > - force the host to issue a mode sense before the first command with
    > Data-Out.
    >   Not desirable, as Santosh argued in another email.
    >
    > - specify the amount of data the host send before the R2T during login as
    > text parameter
    >   What I prefer.

    I am in favor of this technique as well. As I have argued in the past,
    dependence on the mode sense/select for iscsi session parameters is not a
    good
    idea for several reasons :

       * Mode Sense/Select implementation may be a shared mode page
    implementation
         and this can cause strange side effects on initiators when other
         initiators establish sessions with that target port and issue mode
    select.
         It can result in mode select wars between initiators if they are
         attempting to use different settings and are concurrently operating
    with
         the same target port.

       * Mode Sense/Select for setting session parameters is not
    architecturally as
         clean as setting these parameters through login keys, since login keys
    are
         an iscsi in-band technique, applied on a per session basis and only
    affect
         the specified initiator & target port in that I-T nexus.

       * Usage of mode sense followed by mode select causes an increase in I/O
    scan
         times since this implies 2 extra scsi commands per session
    establishment.
         Compare this with setting these parameters through the use of login
    keys,
         which is done during login phase, has no side effects of affecting
    other
         initiators and is a faster and more optimal method.

       * Negotiating all session parameters through login keys allows initiator
         implementations to be simpler since they can avoid having SCSI command
    set
         code in the iscsi initiator drivers.

    For all of the above reasons, I am very much in favor of using login keys
    for
    negotiating session parameters, rather than dependence on mode
    select/sense.

         If we go with the last choice, then one has the question of what to do
         with
         firstBurstSize in the mode page. Two options come to mind:
         - reflect the login specified value in firstburstsize during mode
    sense.
           Memory says this is how it used to be?

    > - do nothing with it.  Let iSCSI say that parameter in the mode page has
    no
    > meaning for the iSCSI protocol.  Move the "firstBurstSize" concept to the
    > iSCSI login/text parameters and let it stay there, don't try to tie it in
    > the mode pagan at all.  (my preferred choice)

    This is my preferred choice as well. Going with these choices will keep
    initiator implementations simpler, optimize session establishment time [and
    thereby, I/O scan time for initiators], avoid mode select wars and other
    side
    effects of shared mode pages on iscsi initiator drivers.

    I would like to request folks to re-consider the use of mode sense/select
    for
    setting session parameters given the above listed reasons. My preference is
    only depend on iscsi login keys and state that iscsi has no meaning for the
    disconnect-reconnect mode page.

    Regarding the "Enable CRN" issue, I will reply in a separate mail.

    Thanks,
    Santosh

         Charles Binford
         Pirus Networks