    RE: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings.

    • To: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings.
    • From: "Elliott, Robert" <Robert.Elliott@compaq.com>
    • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:27:18 -0500
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    If an initiator cares about any settings it better run MODE SENSE
    to set them.  In a multi-initiator environment with various kinds
    of reset events occuring on the SAN, an initiator can't be sure
    of the state of a mode page.  (see the tape problem discovered by
    Veritas in FCP-2 public review; tape mode pages were reset without
    the knowledge of the application, breaking backups).

    > Logical Unit Control Mode Page
    > ==============================
    > This mode page definition can be removed from the iscsi draft since it
    > governs per-LUN state information and LUN state is the realm of the
    > SCSI ULP. In particular, it is the SCSI ULP that decides whether to
    > enable/disable CRN, since CRN is generated by the SCSI ULP.
    >
    > Thus, it is un-clear why the "Enable CRN" is negotiated at a
    > protocol level & not at a SCSI ULP mode page such as the
    > Control Mode Page. (??).
    >
    > Could anybody comment on why CRN (a ULP feature) needs to be
    > enabled in an iscsi protocol mode page ?
    > Perhaps, for FCP it made sense to negotiate something like
    > "Enable CRN" in FCP specific mode pages, since early revisions
    > of FCP did'nt specify the CRN field in FCP_CMD IU and so,
    > the "Enable Precise Delivery" (EPDC) bit was required to
    > be queried/set using mode sense/select, prior to using CRN.
    >
    > Since iscsi supports CRN in its scsi command pdu from its
    > initial rev, I don't see why "Enable CRN" is needed to be done
    > at the iscsi protocol level.

    You're right that history is the reason.  CRN was created in FCP-2
    and wasn't added to SAM-2 until recently.  Thus, it was
    protocol-specific.  The Logical Unit Control mode page was
    created as a new page separate from the Port Control mode page
    specifically to host the EPDC bit, which does not have
    target-wide scope like the other Port Control mode page fields.

    The Control mode page doesn't have any fields whose implementation
    depends on the protocol, so it's not really a good home for this.
    The Disconnect-reconnect mode page does, but CRN doesn't really
    fit with its other fields.  Since FCP-2 has already committed to
    using the Logical Unit Control mode page, it makes sense for
    iSCSI to do the same.

    This should make bridging iSCSI to FCP easier; if software enables
    CRN on one side, a bridge probably wants it enabled on the other
    side so it doesn't have trouble reordering packets.  By using
    the same page the bridge can just pass through the Mode
    Select/Mode Sense data when the software issues those commands.
    If a different page was used, it might need to generate
    additional Mode Select/Mode Sense commands and translate
    the information.  This is also why I think EMDP needs to
    remain controlled by the Port Control mode page, rather than
    just be delegated to text key exchange.

    ---
    Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage
    Robert.Elliott@compaq.com