    Re: iSCSI:Intent of sec. 8.4 of draft 07-95

    Barry Reinhold wrote:

    > Clause 8.4 states:
    >
    > "- If the discarded PDU is a response PDU, initiator MUST do
    >              one of the following -
    >                        a) Request PDU retransmission with a status SNACK.
    >                           [OR]
    >                        b) Logout the connection for recovery and continue
    >                           the tasks on a different connection instance as
    >                           described in section 7.1. [OR]
    >                        c) Logout to close the connection (abort all the
    >                           commands associated with the connection) "
    >
    > Is it the intent of the draft to eliminate the action of just dropping the
    > PDU. (i.e. allowing error recovery by having a SCSI timeout?)

    Barry,

    While the "discard PDU" technique works fine for data-in & r2t pdu's, it does
    not work well for status pdu's, due to the current model of statsn
    acknowledgement. If you dropped the status pdu's and did not use SNACK, you
    would be unable to acknowledge any further status pdu's on that connection,
    and the target would be unable to release any further status PDU resources on
    that connection. Eventually, the target is likely to run out of resources and
    take some action like dropping the connection or session.

    Thus, once a statsn is dropped, you will have to perform one of the actions
    listed above or could even perform session logout. [un-listed option.].

    This is a direct dis-advantage of the statsn acknowledgement scheme which is
    a -ve snack. if an in-band technique of positive status acknowledgement were
    provided, wherein, the initiator sent a statsn +ve ack indicating the status
    pdu's she has received, one could use the "discard pdu" technique with staus
    pdu's as well.

    This +ve ack mechanism has been suggested for status pdu's but has not been
    accepted [yet]. I'm in favor of the simple "discard pdu" approach since it
    works fine for most initiator implementations and is the standard  practice
    with SCSI-FCP initiators. [FCP, not FCP-2].

    Regards,
    Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088