    From: Jim Hafner [mailto:hafner@almaden.ibm.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 3:04 PM
    To: eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: login issue - partial consensus call

    Eddy,

    I think the scenario you're talking about isn't really that big a deal;
    I've argued this sort of thing before.

    First, it's really the target that has to remember (for reservations) the
    ISID that was used for a given initiator *through the target's reset*, not
    through the initiator reset.

    Consider: the target cannot tell the difference between a crash of the
    session (network failures) and a crash of the initiator.  Similarly, the
    initiator cannot tell the difference between a crash of the session
    (network failures) or a crash of the target.  The guarantee here is that
    *from a LIVE initiator's point of view*, a change in the target shouldn't
    affect it's world.  So, while the initiator is LIVE, it should be able to
    recover the world it had once it can recommuniciate with the target.
    There is no obligation on the part of the target to recover the initiator's
    view of the world through initiator failures unless the initiator
    re-identifies himself as the same old guy.

    Now, for the initiator that detects the failure (network or target, it
    can't tell) and is still live, it already has everything it needs to
    re-identity itself.  For the initiator that failed, there's no real point
    it re-identifying itself even if it had a reservation (if it didn't, the
    point is moot).  There's only two cases to care about here. Either no one
    else in the cluster has pre-empted the reservation OR someone else in the
    cluster has done that.  In the first case, if it knows it wants the
    reservation back, it can pre-empt it's own reservation.  In the second
    case, there's nothing to worry about cause the reservation it had is gone
    and the target has no necessary state for it.

    In short, I think we're overworking this problem of the initiator
    rebuilding its old word after it's own failure.  That's a recovery case
    that must be handled for lots of reasons, not just getting back the ISID.
    The key is really what the target has to remember AND what the unfailed
    initiator has to do for recovery thru network or target failures.

    Jim Hafner

    "Eddy Quicksall" <eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 09/12/2001
    11:38:29 am

    Please respond to <eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com>