    RE: iFCP: security position

    WEPs problem was not a weakness in encryption security, heck the crypto is
    rock solid 128 bit used in every SSL connection on the internet (including
    all of your stock transactions, credit card transactions etc.).  Note that
    the cryptography is FINE.

    What was not fine was the system built around it, specifically, there was no
    rekeying algorithm (bad) and they deployed it in such a way that as soon as
    you saw a little over a million packets on the wire, it was broken by
    default.

    The next thing that tends to break crypto systems is random number
    generation, there were many hacks on Kerberos based on the usage of a
    timestamp to initialize the random number generator.

    The third thing that tends to break crypto systems is social engineering
    (Please give me your password tends to work about 25% of the time when
    random people start calling into your company claiming to be I.T.)

    WAY down the list is actually breaking the cipher...  Ok, given 100K and 22
    hours, I can break DES... However if my data is only worth 10K and I cange
    keys often, then this is acceptable.

    Again it is up to the administrator to determine what the acceptable
    crytography is.  Heck I use VERY good crypto, but then I have fast machines,
    and live in a country that lets me use it.  Until the IPsec WG removes DES
    as a MUST implement, I am sorry but it will be in every conforming IPsec
    implementation out there.

    Bill
    Sanera Systems Inc.