    RE: iSCSI: ISIDs

    > We have (so far) relied on the ISID (along with the iSCSI Name) for the
    > SCSI Initiator Port name (and identifier) and relied on the "iSCSI
    > initiator endpoint of the session" for the SCSI Initiator Port.  The ISID
    > RULE (no reuse of ISID to a given target portal group -- and whose
    > enforcement rule we've been debating) was intended to prevent parallel
    > nexus from being created.
    >
    > If we abandon any notion of the initiator providing the ISID then we've
    > somehow lost our handle on what constitutes the SCSI
    > Initiator Port.

    Let me take a whack at preserving something approximating the existing
    situation.  Starting from your option c):

    > c) use the model we now use (SCSI Initiator Port = initiator end of
    > session) but find something other than the ISID to define the SCSI Port
    > Name.  The only choice seems to be the SSID (=TSID).  This might work more
    > or less as David outlined.  It's a little odd, however, that the target is
    > now *assigning* an identifier/name to the SCSI Initiator Port; that is,
    the
    > SCSI Initiator Port doesn't have a name 'all to itself', but only in the
    > context of a target.

    Do we actually need an externally visible identifier for the SCSI
    Initiator Port?  There's clearly a session endpoint on the Initiator
    side that corresponds to the <iSCSI Initiator Name, ISID>, and the
    implementation is clearly able to identify it internally to keep its
    sessions straight, and this identification will be (at least implicitly)
    visible through a management interface that looks at all the open sessions
    on a host or device.  In essence, I'm suggesting keeping the current
    mapping, but allowing part of the endpoint identifier to not be
    visible in the protocol.

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 15:17:13 2001
6435 messages in chronological order