    RE: iSCSI: ISIDs

    John,

    > Your reply is not clear.  Please explain how the TSID would be formed in
    > the parallel session mode on the initiator (with a Wedge Driver in use)?

    Reserved TSID value of 0 (meaning "Please allocate a TSID") is sent on
    each leading login.  Target allocates different TSIDs to the different
    parallel sessions.  Wedge driver continues to work as it always has.
    A separate reply is coming to Jim's concern about how to map the
    "SCSI Initiator Port" concept, and will address the concern that the
    wrong mapping could limit the number of parallel sessions.

    > Then how would the session be cleaned up on reboot?

    A login with a non-zero TSID references the existing session with that
    TSID.  A login with a zero TSID always creates a new session.  If the
    Initiator has forgotten the TSID, the Target garbage collects that
    session using the same sort of timeout approach that it uses to recover
    from Initiators who have crashed and gone away.  As noted earlier, if
    there are session resources like a Persistent Reserve on a session for
    which the Initiator has forgotten the TSID, the Initiator has a problem
    no matter what (same thing happens with current spec if it forgets the
    ISID).  If we want the "Option A" functionality to aggressively
    blow away the old session, we'd probably have to add a bit to login
    saying "destroy the old session with this TSID (after checking that the
    authentication matches)" in order to distinguish the "error recovery"
    vs. "expedited destruction of old session" scenarios.

    Target implementers probably need to be strongly advised that they
    SHOULD NOT aggressively reuse session identifiers (e.g., TSIDs
    can be allocated off of a counter that rolls over back to 1 from
    its maximum value, along with a check for duplicates) to reduce
    problems that could arise from "expedited destruction" if the
    Target has reused the TSID value for a different session to the
    same iSCSI Initiator.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 14:17:16 2001
6433 messages in chronological order