    RE: iSCSI: ISIDs

    Rod,

    > 	I don't see how having the target assign the ISID, and effectively
    > the whole SSID helps with the original problem of recovery from an
    > uncontrolled restart. In fact, I think it makes it worse.

    It helps with the following problem:

    	When the initiating adapter/interface assigns the ISID, mistakes
    	in assigning the ISID (inadvertently using the same ISID twice
    	on two different interfaces) can cause sessions to step on each
    	other when that was not the intended result.  If there's no
    	ISID, and TSID is dynamically assigned by the Target, this
    	problem can't happen.

    Recovery from an uncontrolled restart wouldn't change in principle.
    In order to recover session resources (e.g., persistent reserves), the
    HBA had to remember the ISID - now it would have to remember the TSID.
    In practice, this may be an important difference - an HBA can "remember"
    the ISID(s) by always using the same ISID value(s), whereas the TSID(s)
    have to be stored after being provided by the target.

    > 	Without and initiator assigned ISID the target is presented with no
    > information with which to distinguish HBAs in a host. Assuming that
    > HBA 1 has an existing session, how can the target tell the difference
    > between HBA 2 sending a leading login with the intent of starting a
    > new session, and HBA 1 sending a leading login after an uncontrolled
    > restart?

    HBA 2 sends a TSID of zero, HBA 1 sends the TSID of the session it's
    trying to recover.  Two HBAs are not necessary to create this scenario -
    it can occur with two sessions on a single HBA.  If the HBA has forgotten
    the identity of the session it's trying to recover, that session is
    unrecoverable, but see above comment on differences in remembering
    an ISID vs. a TSID.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 10:17:15 2001
6411 messages in chronological order