    iSCSI: Async events and text

    Kaladhar had asked this question a while ago; I don't think
    a thread was started on it, though.

    iSCSI has defined the text message mechanism to allow initiators
    to send in-band commands outside of SCSI itself (e.g. SendTargets)
    to targets.  This mechanism also allows experimental and vendor-
    specific functions to be implemented without breaking the rest
    of the protocol; if a text key is not recognized by one side or
    the other, it is dropped.

    The Asynchronous Message also defines a mechanism to allow
    targets to send in-band, iSCSI-level messages to initiators;
    these are indicated with the iSCSI Event code, and are used
    to communicate the target's wishes that the initiator would
    log out, or similar issues.

    We have discussed on the list the ability to add other things
    to async messages, such as the ability to communicate on a
    discovery session that there are new iSCSI targets, and that
    a new SendTargets command should be sent.  We never did decide
    as a group to add such a feature, but I think there was some
    talk about allowing something vendor-specific for this type
    of thing.

    Anyway, I was taking another look at async messages, and it
    appears that for an iSCSI event, the data portion of the PDU
    could be used for vendor-specific text keys and values, but
    there is no way to tell the initiator to look at these.

    If we want to do such a thing, we could handle it in three
    ways:

    1. Have the initiator and target use vendor-specific keys during
    the login phase to pre-negotiate the use of a special iSCSI event,
    and simply send whatever they want for the iSCSI event.  This would
    ensure that an initiator will never receive unwanted events, but it
    also means that vendors may define their own uses for the iSCSI
    Event codes or other PDU header fields, which might conflict with
    future additions to the standard protocol.

    2. Add an iSCSI Event "5 - Text event"; this would be a standard
    event, which would include text keys and values in the data portion
    of the PDU.  This removes conflicts with future versions, and the
    spec could still require that an initator and target negotiate
    the use of these events, to avoid an unsuspecting initiator from
    receiving them.

    3. Change all of the iSCSI events to use text key/value pairs,
    including the ones already defined.  This would change the way
    the events are sent now, would add some overhead to the message,
    and some additional processing of the text fields (vs. the binary
    fields used now).  However, it would allow vendor-specific keys
    in any async event message, and would be more in line with the
    way the other iSCSI-level mechanisms (login and text) work.

    I'm not particularly attached to any of the above methods, but
    I would like to see a way that a vendor could add a new async
    event.  Any thoughts?

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems