    Re: iSCSI - Login changes and the latest agreements

    Steve & Ayman,

    Thanks for yor carefull reading.

    I will take care of all the editorials.

    Steve Senum <ssenum@cisco.com> on 01-09-2001 00:53:19

    Please respond to Steve Senum <ssenum@cisco.com>

    To:   ietf-ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>, Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:
    Subject:  Re: iSCSI - Login changes and the latest agreements

    Hi Julian,

    Ayman and I have spent some time looking at your
    latest login proposal.  We believe it solves
    all of the issues with login that we knew of,
    and provides a bit (no pun intended) cleaner approach.

    Though we also think simply requiring the security phase,
    including the old SecurityContextComplete=yes
    handshake, would have solved the same issues with
    draft 07.

    The addition of the "C" bit solves our concerns
    with the use of only login command/login response
    pairs for the entire login sequence.

    I have some (mostly) editorial comments on your
    current proposal:

    1. You might consider changing the name of the
       F (Final) bit to something like the T (Transition)
       bit to help alert implementers that the semantics
       of the bit have changed.

    2. In the login header:

           +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
          0|X|I| 0x03      |F|C 0 0| CNxSG | Version-max   | Version-min   |
           +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+

       You might want to insert a "|" between the "C" and "0" bits.

    3. Section 2.12.3 F (Final) Bit:

          If set to 1 indicates that the initiator has no more parameters to
    set.

       You might want to change this text to better reflect the F bit's
       expanded role, like you did for section 2.13.1.

    4. Section 2.13.1 F (Final) Bit:

       You might want to mention that the target can only set the F bit
       on the response if the initiator set it on the command.

    5. Login Response Status Table:

       You should remove code 0002 since it is no longer needed.
       You might also want to remove code 0001, since it seems
       to now provide redundant information with the CNxSG field,
       and remove or simplify the note about status code 0000.

    6. End of section 4.1:

       Remove text about when IIN and ITN can be sent, since they
       are now required in the initial Login request.

       Move the sentence:

          The iSCSI Names MUST be in text command format.

       To the paragraph near the begining of section 4 that
       starts "The initial Login request MUST include the
       InitiatorName ...."

    Regards,
    Steve Senum