    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 10:05 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI - Change - Login/Text commands with the binary stage
    co de

    Stephen,

    I wonder if 123 words (your note) are really needed to say that bookmarks
    have no role at all.

    For an exchange going well  and on a single connection bookmarks are not
    doing more that their paper counterpart. It is when things go wrong that
    you need them.

    Assume that you have the following sequence:

    a)I->T text B=0
    b)T->I text B=1 Bkmk1
    c)I->T text B=1 Bkmk1
    d)T->I text B=1 Bkmk2
    e)I ->T...

    Assume now that D got lost (digest) and the initiator reissues C.  Without
    a Bookmark
    the target will think that he got a prompt after D when in fact he got a
    replay of C

    In summary the bit acts like the paper bookmark and the bookmark field is
    more like the word-processor bookmarks - it hold information relevant to
    the party that built it.

    Julo

    "Wheat, Stephen R" <stephen.r.wheat@intel.com> on 24-08-2001 01:21:04

    Please respond to "Wheat, Stephen R" <stephen.r.wheat@intel.com>