    RE: iSCSI Change - New NOP-Out/In text

    Here is a (maybe partial) draft of the suggested NOP-In rewording.  Whether
    this type of commentary is worthwhile, please let me know.

    Embedded are some questions I have from the original writing this morning.

    As a commentary/question, shouldn't all fields be documented, rather than
    having their semantics covered in other field documentation???

    At the very least, I'd appreciate the text to be changed to answer my
    questions embedded below.

    BTW, since a NOP-In could result in a corresponding NOP-Out, the name of the
    ping data fields is kind of lopsided.  I.e., for NOP-Out, it is "Ping Data",
    and for NOP-In, it is "Return Ping Data."  A NOP-Out's ping data is "return
    ping data" when sent as a response to a NOP-In.  So, how about just calling
    it "Ping Data" in both messages??

    Stephen

    ==================

    1.2  NOP-In

       NOP-In is either sent by a target as a response to having received a
    NOP-Out,
       as a "ping" to an initiator, or a means to carry a changed ExpCmdSN
       and/or MaxCmdSN if there is no other PDU to carry them for a long time.

       When a target receives the NOP-Out with a valid Initiator Task Tag (not
       the reserved value 0xffffffff), it MUST respond with a NOP-In with the
       same Initiator Task Tag that was provided in the NOP-Out Command. It
       SHOULD also duplicate up to first 4096 bytes of the initiator provided
       Ping Data.

    1.2.1     Target Transfer Tag

       A target assigned identifier for the operation.

       If the target is responding to a NOP-Out, this is set to ?????????

       If the target is initiating a NOP-Out as a Ping (intending to receive a
    corresponding
       NOP-Out), this field is set to a valid value (not the reserved
    0xffffffff).

       If the target is initiating a NOP-Out without wanting to receive a
    corresponding
       NOP-In, this field MUST hold the reserved value of 0xffffffff.

    1.2.2   Initiator Task Tag
       When the NOP-Out is in response to a NOP-In, this is the same value as
    found in the NOP-Out.

       Otherwise, this field MUST be 0xffffffff.

    1.2.3     LUN

       A LUN MUST be set to a correct value when the Target Transfer Tag is
       valid (not the reserved value 0xffffffff).  Otherwise, it SHOULD be set
    to the
       reserved value of 0.

    1.2.4  StatSN
       Whenever the NOP-In is not issued in response to a NOP-Out the, StatSN
       field will contain the next StatSN but StatSN for this
       connection is not advanced.  Otherwise, it will be set to ????????.

    1.2.5  Data Segment Length
       The number of bytes in the Return Ping Data.  The range is [0..4096].