    Re: iSCSI: Ping Data,CmdSN

    I am rewriting NOP according to my proposal agreed in London.  It will be
    out today.
    I will answer you after that if you still need it.

    Julo

    "Asai Thambi S P" <sp_asai@ctd.hcltech.com> on 16-08-2001 10:19:11

    Please respond to "Asai Thambi S P" <sp_asai@ctd.hcltech.com>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:
    Subject:  iSCSI: Ping Data,CmdSN

    hi,

    I have some queries. I thought I can get solutions in IPS. I've already
    sent this to IPS. nobody replied. So I'm mailing u personnally. Can u help
    me on this?

     * NOP-Out can be sent in response to NOP-In or to test the target or to
            test the connection.

            Section 2.12:

            "The NOP-Out may be useful in the case where an initiator has been
            waiting a long time for the response to some command, and the
            initiator suspects that there is some problem with the connection."

            "A NOP-Out should also be used to confirm a changed ExpStatSN if
    there is no other PDU to carry it for a long time. "

          The draft also says that the timeout value is outside the scope of
    the
    document.

            In the former case, how do we know that we've been waiting for a
    long time?
            In the latter case, how do we know that there is no other PDU's to
    carry this for a long time?

    * Similarly  for NOP-In,
            NOP-In can be sent
                            * to test the initiator
                            * to test the connection

            When to test the initiator or connection? How to decide it?

    In case of target/initiator issuing NOP-In/NOP-Out on its own, what will be
    the Ping Data?

    * if CmdSN  is not equal to ExpCmdSN, what should the target do?
            suppose CmdSN > ExpCmdSN,  whether the target should assume that it
    missed the commands in between and ask for retransmission of commands.
    If so, how the target asks for command retransmission.
            If not, what the target should  do?

        The initiator asks for retransmission of status or data through SNACK
    request.

    Is there anything similar to this for target?

        One more regarding CmdSN,

        if CmdSN is not equal to ExpCmdSN in Task Management Command, what to
    do?

     - asai.