    RE: iSCSI Discovery and SendTargets

    Mark,

    I just wanted to add some additional information about iSNS
    that might help make this analysis easier.

    >    iSNS does not define a method for an initiator to discover
    >    a target directly without an iSNS server, or to contact a
    >    target directly to gain a list of its addresses.

    There is no reason why an iSNS server can't be deployed in a
    target device just to support that device's targets, and for the
    iSNS protocol to fulfill the capabilities that are described in
    your memo regarding simple iSCSI discovery.  I do not see a
    fundamental difference between deploying an SLP SA on each
    target, and deploying an iSNS server on each target.  iSNS can
    be scaled down as well to fulfill simple discovery, if that's
    all that is required.

    As I look down the list of SLP capabilities, there is nothing
    I see that iSNS does not also provide.  A comparison of iSNS
    server code with SLP SA code shows that they are not significantly
    different in size (both are roughly 10,000 loc).  But with iSNS,
    you also have management capabilities such as Zoning (DD's), which
    allow an iSCSI device to display a different view of its targets
    to each initiator.  This might be especially important in a mixed
    NT/Unix environment.

    On the other hand, if the goal is to scale down to a simple,
    discovery mechanism, all the management capabilities (zoning,
    ESI polling, etc...) can be removed from iSNS, resulting
    in an even lighterweight implementation.

    Josh