    RE: iSCSI : login keys & mode page settings

    Bob,

    There is a problem of scope with the present iSCSI specifications.  In my
    view, there should be a document that defines the "iSCSI device", and others
    that define transport.  The "iSCSI device" should be a T10 document.  The
    difficulty results from the amalgam two separate goals.  Much of the
    compatibility issues will hinge on the device behavior model, and mode page
    definitions.  The iSCSI device will be expected to handle more of the
    functionality of that found in the typical wedge driver.  None of these
    issues are directly relevant to transport.

    Doug

    Robert Snively wrote:

    Be deprecating the mode page mechanism, you would reduce the
    compatibility with present management software, but more
    importantly, you would increase the complexity of many devices
    that would still have to interpret the somewhat obscure intent
    of a key in terms of a mode page action that would have to be
    executed against an actual SCSI device.
    For compatibility, the natural method to prohibit would be
    the new and therefore incompatible method.

    Bob