    Re: iSCSI: Canonical Targets

    I'm in agreement with Mark, that canonical target support is mandatory. The
    key is interoperability. The initiator must be mandated to probe the
    canonical target and not assume a single target device. If all initiators do
    not support this type of probing, then interoperability goes out the window.
    Mark's effort, mandates the support on the target device - which indirectly
    puts the mandate on the initiator to check, and makes sure there are not
    confusing answers from devices that otherwise would not respond to the
    canonical target.

    Is this replacing discovery - perhaps in some ways. The real issue is
    allowing i/o traffic to be rerouted to non-IANA TCP port numbers, which is a
    critical need of the proxy/routers/etc, which have little left in the socket
    4-tuple to classify on if rerouting is not allowed.. I would expect the
    "discovery" (SLP, uPnP,etc) mechanisms would contain the "targets" that the
    proxy/router/etc, but the expectation is that they would all point at the
    well-known IANA TCP port number. The canonical processing simply allows the
    target device to shift session-specific traffic to target-assigned port
    numbers that can aid it's classification schemes.

    -- James