    Re: iSCSI: SAM and iSCSI - some issues

    Jim,
    I agree with your note, but am adding another perhaps confusion item.  This
    is the Target Failure/Take-over event.

    1. What should be done if the IP address is not taken over, including what
    state Must be kept, etc.
    2. What should be done if the IP address is taken over but perhaps not all
    state is available to the take over node.  What State Must have been made
    available, and what state is not required.  Example: the state of the
    ExpCmdSN, etc.

    I have been wondering about point 2 and what should happen if such state is
    not kept, what should the recovery action be?  Perhaps it should blow the
    session away and start over, if so, why did it cause the IP take over to
    occur, instead of letting the Initiator just establish a new session, as in
    point 1?

    Anyway, you may or may not think that this event is worth considering in
    your nexus state analysis.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Jim Hafner/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS@ece.cmu.edu on 05/09/2001 12:53:32 PM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu