    Re: iSCSI Security rough consensus

    On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 08:05:57PM -0700, Joshua Tseng wrote:

    > I don't know the Security AD's, but if they had this reaction
    > as you describe, my question to them would be why did they invent
    > tunnel mode and security gateways in the first place?  If they
    > wanted all protocols to have end-to-end protection as a REQUIREMENT,
    > shouldn't they have just stopped with transport mode?  That way, it's
    > end-to-end IPSec or else use something like TLS.

    The main reason for things like tunnel mode and security gateways are
    for legacy protocols and legacy implementations.

    All new protocols are supposed to worry about security in an
    end-to-end fashion.  Specifying security gateways doesn't satisfy this
    requirement.  The goal here is to provide something better than the
    current situation, where most people are using firewalls, and
    completely insecure protocols such as NFS.  This is also known as the
    "hard crunchy exterior surrounding a soft, chewing interior", and it's
    pretty clear this isn't sufficient.  New IETF protocols need to be
    secure even if you're not surrounded by a firewall, and are connected
    directly to the big, bad, Internet.

    The current situation vis-a-vis security is a really bad one; witness
    recent reports about people scanning Silicon Valley for open 802.11
    networks, and finding ways of accessing corporate intranets for all
    sorts of very embarassed companies.  And then there are the stories
    about machines running, PC Anywhere, backdoor modem connections that
    the IS department didn't know about, home DSL connections to the
    corporate intranet that were cross-connected with the user's cable
    modem, etc., etc., etc.

    So the answer to your question is that specifying a completely
    insecure protocol, and saying it's secure if you put a security
    gateway in front of it, isn't going to satisfy the IESG for new
    protocol specifications.

    						- Ted