    RE: iSCSI Security rough consensus

    > I do not understand what a requirement for SRP to
    > generate keys for ESP/IPSec would add to security,
    > especially if IPSec and iSCSI are implemented on the
    > same box.  Could you summarize why this recommendation
    > was made?  (unfortunately, I missed this part of the
    > meeting to catch a plane)

    By comparison to full IPSec with IKE, using
    SRP to key ESP does not improve security.
    The underlying issue is IKE complexity (i.e.,
    the code and effort required to implement it).

    Hence the rationale for using SRP to key
    ESP is that it provides dynamic key
    generation without implementing IKE -- this
    is an improvement over pre-shared keys at
    a much lower code and effort cost for a
    single-box (i.e., no external security gateway)
    implementation.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500