    Re: iSCSI : Bridging missing CmdSNs and Abort I/O Error recovery

    • To: julian_satran@il.ibm.com, IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI : Bridging missing CmdSNs and Abort I/O Error recovery
    • From: Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>
    • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:39:15 -0700
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Julian,

    This is a problem that spans transports. FCP cannot deploy the ABTS-LS
    abort protocol on a ULP timeout if the ABTS cannot be sent because the
    target port is not responding with BB_Credit.

    I don't believe that's reason enough to not extend "connection
    allegiance" to include Abort Task. Sending an Abort Task on the same
    connection as the command simplifies a number of issues related to the
    task cleanup.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Forcing abort task on the same connection severely limits the ability of
    > sending an abort when the TCP windows is or gets closed.  And that is true
    > for one or several adapters.
    >
    > Julo
    >
    > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com> on 28/04/2001 23:51:00
    >
    > Please respond to Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>
    >
    > To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    > cc:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > Subject:  Re: iSCSI : Bridging missing CmdSNs and Abort I/O Error recovery
    >
    > Julian,
    >
    > Thanks for the clarification. One basic question. Why don't we want to
    > force Abort Task on the same connection as the command ? Extending
    > connection allegiance to include the Abort Task would simplify the
    > solutions to some of these issues and IMHO, it is not too stringent a
    > requirement that the Abort Task be sent on the same connection.
    >
    > After all, a portion of the I/O state would be resident in adapter
    > firmware/hardware and sending Abort Task on the same connection would ease
    > the abort process at the target by avoiding communicating across
    > connections [NICs] for the clean up.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Santosh
    >
    > > We could add the RefCmdSN and it may help plug-in the hole but unless the
    > > Abort is ussued on the same connection as the original command we can't
    > be
    > > sure that the old-one will not pop-up (as we enable ExpCmdSN to move on
    > we
    > > don't have even the 2**31-1 protection bracket :-)). Thus sending in
    > > another nop/abort on the same connection is still required.
    > >
    > > To simplify the whole process I will:
    > >
    > >  a - add RefCmdSN to the Task Management
    > >  b - add a command not received yet to the answers
    > >
    > >  c - add a part to 7 reading:
    > >
    > > 1.1  How to Abort Safely a Command that Was Not Received
    > >
    > >    To abort safely a task for which the task abort answer is "Command Not
    > >    Received Yet" the initiator must issue another abort command on the
    > same
    > >    connection as the original command unless this connection was logged
    > out
    > >    in which case it may send it on any connection. The expected response
    > >    for the second abort is Function Complete (if the command did not
    > >    arrive) or "Task was not in task set".
    > >

    > >    This convoluted scheme is necessary as the target does not know to
    > what
    > >    connection the hole is related and we don't want to force abort task
    > >    the same connection as the original command.
    > >

    > >    Julo
    > >
    > > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com> on 27/04/2001 20:46:53
    > >
    > > Please respond to Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>
    > >
    > > To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > > cc:   matt_wakeley@agilent.com
    > > Subject:  Re: iSCSI : Bridging missing CmdSNs and Abort I/O Error
    > recovery
    > >

    > > Julian,

> [...]
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088