    RE: [Tsvwg] [SCTP checksum problems]

    I think this "SCTP checksum" thread spanning IPS and TSVWG was for
    discussion around whether or not iSCSI (running over SCTP) could forgo data
    integrity checking and transport-like functionality (retransmission, ack,
    etc) should SCTP provide a sufficiently strong check-code.
    If iSCSI were willing to completely trust SCTP end-to-end across a network
    fabric (including "middleboxes"), then that provides one reason for SCTP to
    adopt a stronger checksum or CRC.
    If iSCSI will still implement its own data integrity check-code above SCTP,
    then SCTP needs to make an independent decision on whether its current
    check-code is sufficiently strong for its target uses.
    Currently, iSCSI contains a data integrity check "digest" that can be
    negotiated end-to-end to be disabled on a per-connection basis.

    This discussion begs a few questions:
    - Are there clearly different classes of applications (in regards to their
    end-to-end data integrity strength needs)?
    - How are these application classes' end-to-end data integrity needs meet in
    the future?  Is it SCTP, IPSec, application-specific protocol, a new
    protocol?
    - Is there a general need for strong end-to-end data integrity that could be
    provided for in a recommended generic manner?
    - Is iSCSI unique in being an "ultra-low error rate application" and should
    iSCSI then handle its own data integrity?
    - Should SCTP strengthen its checksum to meet the needs of a general class
    of data-criticial applications, and/or provide a means for negotiating an
    optional stronger checksum?
    - What is the role of network infrastructure (router/middlebox hardware and
    software) in strengthening end-to-end data integrity?

    Data integrity for iSCSI over TCP is a separate issue. It is unlikely that
    we will be able to evolve TCP in a timely manner to utilize a stronger
    check-code given TCP's current wide scale deployment (although adding a
    stronger checksum/CRC to TCP would seem to be the best solution). So,
    something else has to be done either above or below TCP to provide the
    required level of iSCSI data integrity. Of course, if TCP's data integrity
    deficiency is impacting other data-critical applications, then it seems
    prudent to at least consider solving the problem generically.

    Jim