    RE: iSCSI : Negotiable padding, was More issues.... Digest related.

    Julian,

    	I'm confused. I've never seen the need for padding on the
    wire, but somewhere along the line I've gotten the
    impression that's what we had decided to do. This being the
    case it seems a small step to have the sending side pad to
    whatever alignment the receiver wants, especially since most
    will want the currently specified value of 4 bytes.

    	To answer your question, I believe the end system can
    achieve whatever data alignment it requires regardless of
    padding on the wire. My request was made on the basis that
    if we were going to pad to 4 bytes on the wire anyway we
    might as well go the small extra distance and make that
    padding negotiable. We can set a default of 4 to be used if
    padding is not negotiated.

    	So, straighten me out. Are we padding on the wire or not?
    And if not, why are we mentioning padding at all? Also, do
    we expect to see any data padding if there are no data
    digests in use?

    	Thanks,

    	- Rod