    RE: Target Reset

    This is at least better.  But I do not have the issue of it being vendor
    unique.  This is a shut down and restart of the complete Target, and will
    probably be part of the vendors' operator console or their own remote
    support functions, it is not clear that it needs to be a general management
    function that works the same on all iSCSI Storage Controllers.

    Many of the major Storage Controller do not support this feature today.

    I do not believe that most SNMP implementations are very secure.  Most
    folks do not want to have a changeable MIB until they have secure SNMP, and
    even though there is a version of SNMP that has security features, this has
    not been well supported.

    I do NOT think that Target Reset should be in the base iSCSI protocol, but
    I think it is reasonable to hold this discussion apart from the base
    protocol document, and the question should be asked if this is a general
    management function or a vendor specific console or remote support
    function.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Dillard, David" <david_dillard@adaptec.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 04/22/2001
    08:13:49 AM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu