    Re: iSCSI Reqts: In-Order Delivery

    Charles Monia wrote:

    > > (1) MUST provide ordered delivery of SCSI commands from
    > >       the initiator to the target in the absence of transport
    > >       errors visible to iSCSI (e.g., iSCSI CRC failure,
    > >       unexpected TCP connection closure).
    >
    > Does the term "SCSI commands" include task management functions as well?  If
    > not, it should.

    Charles,

    Could iSCSI use a variant of the approach FCP-2 takes to solve the
    ordering issue for task mgmt error recovery ?

    The FCP-2 task management error recovery scheme is :
    - task mgmt function uses CRN 0
    - task mgmt function is executed immediately with no ordering latencies
    - both initiator & target clear all resources that can be cleared
    un-ambiguously.
    - any ambiguous exchanges shall be aborted by the port that detects the
    ambiguous state.

    In the case of iSCSI, an analogous approach could be :
    - task mgmt function uses immediate delivery flag for the task mgmt PDU.
    - task mgmt fn executed immediately avoiding any ordering latencies.
    - initiator & target clear all resources that can be cleared
    un-ambiguously.
    - initiator uses Abort Task to explicitly abort all active outstanding
    I/Os at the time the task mgmt fn was issued to avoid any ambiguous
    stale PDUs of an exchange from appearing at the target.

    Such an approach would avoid latencies on the execution of the task mgmt
    fn while still flushing out all the stale PDUs upon completion of the
    initiator actions for that task mgmt fn.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088