    [Fwd: FCP-2 : EMDP setting in disconnect-reconnect mode page.]

    • To: IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: [Fwd: FCP-2 : EMDP setting in disconnect-reconnect mode page.]
    • From: Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>
    • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:23:48 -0700
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Julian,

    I am forwarding responses from T11 regarding EMDP behaviour in FCP. (And
    knowing that Dave Peterson is on this list, perhaps, he can comment
    further).

    The same level of control that FCP provides must be made available to
    iSCSI. (Incidentally, I noticed that SRP had a proposal to have the same
    semantics of allowing both WRITE and READ ordering to be controlled
    across the entire SCSI command.)

    Initiators would find such an option useful which allows them to request
    that targets ask for data in-order. i.e. the buffer offset in
    consecutive R2Ts be in order. EMDP in iSCSI must allow this level of
    control.

    - Santosh

    Dave Peterson wrote:

    > Howdy Santosh,
    >
    > EDMP applys to both READs and WRITEs:
    > Yes, if EMDP=0, the target shall send continuously increasing DATA_RO values
    > in its FCP_XFER_RDY requests.
    > Yes, if EMDP=0, the initiator shall send out FCP_DATA IUs in order in
    > response to FCP_XFER_RDY.
    >
    > If the EMDP bit is set to one the target may request data out of order using
    > the FCP_DATA_RO field in the FCP_XFER_RDY.
    >
    > The initiator shall (always) deliver FCP_DATA IUs as specified in the
    > FCP_XFER_RDY (i.e. the target is in control).
    > The exception is when FCP_XFER_RDY is disabled and then it is only
    > applicable to the first FCP_DATA IU.
    >
    > Dave

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088