    RE: iSCSI: target discovery issue

    Josh wrote:
    > I would like to append to Mark's note that method D is
    > the iSNS.  The iSNS breaks from the device-by-device
    > management paradigm that the previous methods use.  It
    > provides for network-wide storage device discovery,
    > zoning and management.

    A more generic statement of "method D" is that there exist applications for
    managing and administering networked resources (Novell eDirectory and
    Microsoft ActiveDirectory products are examples).  One of the most important
    tasks a network administrator has is making sure that users have access to
    files, resources and services they need on the network.  iSCSI adds block
    storage to the list of network resources, but resource assignment and
    management is a problem that has existed for quite some time and solutions
    exist today.  Network resource management evolved from a device-by-device
    management paradigm long before iSCSI was conceived.  I don't want to
    detract from the value of iSNS, but it's not correct to suggest it's the
    only solution to resource management.

    Typically users register/login to distributed resource management pts
    (domain servers) and these applications handle authentication,
    authorization, and assignment of resources.  John makes important points in
    his email - you don't want all users informed of new storage coming on line,
    those systems that are intended to have access should be notified, or should
    explicitly "mount" the new storage.  It's not appropriate to burden each
    storage device with this task, it is definitely a value add feature
    appropriate to a centralized resource management application.

    Marjorie Krueger
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Networked Storage Solutions Org.
    Hewlett-Packard