    Re: iSCSI linked commands

    Julian,

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Doug,
    >
    > I think you would want to go back to SAM.  Linked command are broken by any
    > "irregularity" in execution.

    The specific statement you are looking for appears on SAM-2 r16
    top of PDF page 66, "The receipt of any status, except INTERMEDIATE
    or INTERMEDIATE-CONDITION MET, shall indicate that the associated
    task has ended."

    > The basic assumption is that the initiator is in charge of shipping linked
    > commands - one-by-one.

    I am not an expert on linked commands (there are only three such
    people that I know of).  However, my understanding is that linked
    commands are REQUIRED to be shipped one-by-one.  The initiator is
    allowed to pick the next linked command based on the results
    returned by the previous linked command.

    > I assume that for high latency links they won't be very popular.

    They are not very popular, period.

    > At a very early stage (about 2 years ago) we contemplated the idea of
    > "prefetching" linked commands and have the target
    > effect the serialization. We would have had to come up with a way of
    > conveying the initiator which command broke the chain (if it broke) or
    > caused a unit attention (if it caused) and it was not at all clear that
    > this was "in the spirit of SAM" .
    > There where also more esoteric issues with later command getting modified
    > by execution of prior commands etc. -:).

    Like I said above, I think pre-fetching linked commands violates
    "the rules".

    Thanks.

    Ralph...