    RE: CRC vs CHKSUM presentation slides

    Vince,

    In the references I gave you you have the coverage for the polynomials we
    are taking about.

    vince_cavanna@agilent.com on 23/03/2001 20:34:19

    Please respond to vince_cavanna@agilent.com

    To:   pat_thaler@agilent.com, mbakke@cisco.com, jim.williams@emulex.com,
          ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:   vince_cavanna@agilent.com
    Subject:  RE: CRC vs CHKSUM presentation slides

    Pat and others,

    I have not actually determined for myself the coverage of the ethernet poly
    for 3 errors. All I know for sure, as I show in my slides, is that the
    ethernet poly, because it does not have an x^c+1 term, cannot detect ALL
    occurrences of an odd number of errors (including 3). I have therefore
    quoted data from the widely referenced paper (which I have refereced many
    times before) by Fujiware, Kasami and Lin on Error detecting capabilities
    of
    hte ethernet polynomial . This paper claims the Ethernet poly has a Hamming
    distance of 4 for lengths 3007 <= n <= 12144 and larger hamming distance
    for
    smaller n.

    It seems quite a coincidence to me that 12144 happens to be the length of
    the maximum IEE 802.3 frame (prior to VLAN tagging) and I can only assume
    that the polynomial was either expressely designed for that coverage or the
    coverage is actually larger than 12144 and the authors thought 12144 was
    sufficient and did not bother to give the exact number.

    In any case, I don't think it is particularly important for the ethernet
    poly to be able to catch ALL 3 bit errors since, due to the group encoding
    used, 3 bit errors on the link will manifest themselves as 3 bursts for
    which the ethernet poly most likely does not have complete coverage anyway.
    At one time (prior to the use of group encoding) the ability to detect 3
    bit
    errors may have been important but not today. Same is true for Fiberchannel
    which has even larger frame sizes and also uses group encoding.

    Vince