    Re: iSCSI Login

    Mathew,

    Answers in text - Julo

    "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" <matthew_burbridge@hp.com> on
    15/03/2001 11:43:33

    Please respond to "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)"
          <matthew_burbridge@hp.com>

    To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:  iSCSI Login

    Hi Julian,

    A couple of items:

    1) Section 4.1 (iSCSI Rev 5) states that:

    The target can answer in the following ways:

          -Login Response with Login Reject (and F bit 1).  This is an
          immediate rejection from the target, that causes the session to
          terminate

    I agree that this could be the case for a security breach - authentication
    failed but what if the target only supports one connection per session and
    the initiator is attempting to set up another connection.  Surely, the new
    login should be rejected but the session remains intact.

    +++ will fix - the new text will be:

    Login Response with Login Reject (and F bit 1).  This is an immediate
    rejection from the target, that causes the connection to terminate. If this
    connection is the leading or only connection of a session the session is
    also terminated.

    ++++
    2) Still on the subject of login:  In section 4, page 74, the spec states
    that:

      "The initiator and target MAY want to negotiate authentication and
       data integrity parameters. Once this negotiation is completed, the
       channel is considered secure."

    It is unclear as to the mandated handling of conflicting/differing
    authentication mechanisms negotiated on multiple connections participating
    in the same session.  I  propose that the spec should state that if
    authentication is required then the same authentication method MUST
    be used on all connections in a session.

    +++ we are going to add the following clarification text to 8.1 (I hope it
    answers also your implied question).

       Each connection in a session may operate in a different security
       protection mode.  Some connection may use private networks and require
       minimal protection while others may use public networks and require the
       highest level of protection.

       ++++

    Cheers

    Matthew Burbridge