    Re: iSCSI: Need to Kill Session from Surviving Node

    >There is a related problem that I think we need to address, and that is --
    >the case where the Storage Controller is an Active-Active Fail-Over unit
    >with very little state shared between the Storage Controller Nodes.  (I
    >think a number of you folks have told me that you are planning such a
    >design.)  This would mean that a specific initiator OS (WWUI) would have
    >separate sessions between the Nodes.  At fail-over, the Take-Over Node will
    >want to cause the Initiator, to Stop messing around with the Failing node
    >ASAP, and start using the existing session, or start a new session with the
    >Take_Over Node.  The Initiator, will normally just time-out the TCP/IP
    >connection, and then turn the recovery over to the SCSI Layer. Then, when
    >SCSI retries, iSCSI will either use the Session to the Surviving Node or
    >Create a New Session to that Surviving Node.  The problem is, that this
    >will take a longer time then a system might want.
    >
    >So the question: is there a way for a surviving Target Node to tell the
    >Initiator to "Kill" the Session to the Failing Target Node?
    >
    >Comments?

    Assuming that the failing Node is still able to execute commands,
    a cold target reset from the Initiator to the failing node should "kill"
    all the sessions to it.

    The answer to two hosts configured in a failover configuration sharing
    a single Storage Controller Node is also the same.

    If it is active-active configuration, it appears to me that there's a
    need to somehow prompt the Initiator to doing the reset on a third party
    (Async PDU?).

    This is a reason why we'd still need target reset in iSCSI.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture