    RE: FCIP: iFCP/FCIP Framing assists (was TCP/IP Framing Assists)

    Charles,

    Should you use SCTP within TCP by replacing the SCTP port with a
    pseudo-frame length, then conventions for SCTP allows for frame recovery
    independent of the encapsulated FC frame.  SCTP even allows for setting
    retries for this frame as well as providing an authorities SACK independent
    of TCP.  With this scheme, you could take advantage of many benefits offered
    by SCTP as well as eventually using SCTP directly.  The pseudo-frame would
    then dictate memory overhead for frame reconstruction which will be required
    as FC and Ethernet often have incompatible lengths.  The iFCP encapsulation
    would sit within an SCTP data chunk.  Simply define a fixed length
    pseudo-frame as part of a modified SCTP negotiation.

    Doug