    RE: iSCSI: Reliability of markers (was Re: R2TDataSN and other recovery mechanisms)

    Somesh,

    Thanks for your insights.

    > Consider the marker mechanism as an example. If the marker
    > falls within the TCP byte stream region which contains the
    > header, and the header digest fails, then do you trust this
    > marker or skip to the next marker. Or do we need a sum on the
    > marker itself.

    You point out one of the disadvantages of the current marker
    approach. In this respect, the word-stuffing proposal as described
    in draft-weber-fcip-encaps-00.txt is a better message boundary
    identification approach. One key point you bring up is if there
    is just a two-bit burst error with one bit on the Header
    and the other bit on the Synch-and-Steering header, you've lost
    a reliable way of synching to any part of the stream. This is
    possible because the Synch-and-steering header can be right smack
    in the middle of an iSCSI header. You may also have cases where the
    two copies of the Next-iSCSI-PDU-start pointer disagree on
    where the next pdu starts. What then?

    With constant-overhead-word-stuffing, all is not lost if the synch
    words get corrupted - you skip over enough words in the stream
    until you find one to synch with. Also, you do not have nearly
    the level of with UFL mentioned in section 1.2.8.3 of the
    draft. I don't remember all the technical discussion that went
    into the selection of current Synch-and-steering, but it does
    seem to have some weaknesses.

    Regards,

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.