    RE: iSCSI: Next-Qualifiers and PDU diagrams

    David,

    It really does not matter where the TLV is - before or after the BHS or any
    AHS.
    What matters is that you read it always with the BHS (or any subsequent
    AHS) and from it you derive what comes next.

    The simplest structure is only a BHS (no data) and even there you need the
    NQ to know that the data is not there.

    On regular TLV the sequence of operations you do is:

    Read TLV1
    Read Variable part
    Read TLV2

    ----

    At best you can optimize it to:

    Read TLV1
    Read Variable+TLV2
    Read Variable+TLV3

    ------

    With our scheme - since we know that the first part BHS is always there we
    can read

    ReadBHS+TLV2
    Readvariable+TLV3
    -----------

    There  is no TLV1!
    I've put the NQ somewhat arbitrarily at the beginning - it could be at the
    end - but that is  a matter of taste.

    I could add it to the PDU descriptions as an opaque field so that you can
    see your offsets at their final position (or almost final).

    I would like as much as you to add clarity to the document without
    affecting the structure of the header sequence (that is both efficient and
    flexible) and if adding the field to the PDU description makes it easier to
    understand then so be it - but let us hear some other voices too.

    Black_David@emc.com on 05/03/2001 16:01:04

    Please respond to Black_David@emc.com