    Re: iSCSI 05.txt is out

    Sandeep,

    Thanks for the carefull reading. Responses in text.

    Julo

    Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com> on 02/03/2001 21:15:53

    Please respond to Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com>

    To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:  Re: iSCSI  05.txt is out

    Hi Julian,

    Draft looks good.   Here are a few issues i noticed.
    Some of these issues may have been valid with 04 too.

    -Sandeep

    Sec 2.7: Scsi Data for READ
    ---------------------------
    This is a read PDU but the fields for (O|U) do not match the
    corresponding positions for Read status indicators in the
    Scsi Response PDU.

    In the Scsi Response PDU, it is lowercase "o" and "u" which
    indicate read overflow/underflow.  They are present in a
    different bit positions.

    Notice that the residual count position is consistent.
    So how about matching up the over/underflow bits to same
    positions with same lowercase syntax ?  This may also
    change the "S" bit position.
    +++ in response we had to take care of the BiDirectional commands so there
    are two
    sets. In read data - that is only for pure Reads (not for write-then-read
    ++++
    R2TDataSN
    ----------
    Sec 6.7.1 has some new content on how to handle lost R2Ts using
    SACKs.  But I noticed that the SACK request (Sec 2.16) has not
    changed to indicate whether the DataSN is a R2T DataSN or just
    a Read PDU DataSN (D bit)
    So do we demux on the read/write operation type?
    And how does this affect PDU loss in bidirectional commands ?
    +++ SACK is ascking for data (DataSN) the target knows

    Sec 2.14.1
    ----------
    CID: This field is valid only if the reason code is not "close
    connection" -- you mean "close session" right ?

    To further reinforce this, can we also add "CID or reserved(0)"
    to the PDU frame above - just as we do in other cases.
    +++ you are correct
    Sec 2.18 Async PDU
    --------------------
    Could you elaborate on the scenarios proposed under which
    a target might request a logout (event code=2)?  I recall this
    code was added recently (in 03 or 04) but cant recall the
    exact semantics.
    +++ one cause could be maintenance
    For example, can this code be used if some connection does not
    respond to pings ?  From Sec 2.14, I see that this will result
    in a Logout Command with reason_code=2 (target-requested logout).
    There is also some discussion in Sec 6.7.1.2 on this.

    This facility gives rise to race conditions on duplex & buffered
    channels - plus the Async PDU intends to preserve the statSN
    ordering.  [Async is a misnomer :-)]

    Say both initiator & target decide to close a non-responding TCP
    connection_1.  The initiator sends a Login (for conn recovery)
    on some other connection_2.  At the same "time", the target
    sends an Async PDU for c_1 on connection_3.
    +++ Login can be sent only when establishing (or restarting) a connection
    but
    ---  i.e. TCP-Open followed by login -
    Obviously there can be races but the initiator and target can get out of
    them
    quickly  +++
    By the time Async PDU is delivered, the initiator may well have
    recovered the connection so its going to logout a connection
    which is chugging along hunky-dory.

    In the absence of any synchronized timestamps, it is not possible
    to know if one is responding to an event which has already
    been handled.
    +++ I & T have no synchronized clocks - and I did not see a compeling
    reason to add one
    Sec 2.10 :  Version number
    The min & max versions are just plain numbers.  Any plans to
    support major+minor version numbers ?

    +++ they where in then we decided that we have enough artifacts already -:)