    Re: iSCSI 05.txt is out

    Hi Julian,

    Draft looks good.   Here are a few issues i noticed.
    Some of these issues may have been valid with 04 too.

    -Sandeep

    Sec 2.7: Scsi Data for READ
    ---------------------------
    This is a read PDU but the fields for (O|U) do not match the
    corresponding positions for Read status indicators in the
    Scsi Response PDU.

    In the Scsi Response PDU, it is lowercase "o" and "u" which
    indicate read overflow/underflow.  They are present in a
    different bit positions.

    Notice that the residual count position is consistent.
    So how about matching up the over/underflow bits to same
    positions with same lowercase syntax ?  This may also
    change the "S" bit position.

    R2TDataSN
    ----------
    Sec 6.7.1 has some new content on how to handle lost R2Ts using
    SACKs.  But I noticed that the SACK request (Sec 2.16) has not
    changed to indicate whether the DataSN is a R2T DataSN or just
    a Read PDU DataSN (D bit)
    So do we demux on the read/write operation type?
    And how does this affect PDU loss in bidirectional commands ?

    Sec 2.14.1
    ----------
    CID: This field is valid only if the reason code is not "close
    connection" -- you mean "close session" right ?

    To further reinforce this, can we also add "CID or reserved(0)"
    to the PDU frame above - just as we do in other cases.

    Sec 2.18 Async PDU
    --------------------
    Could you elaborate on the scenarios proposed under which
    a target might request a logout (event code=2)?  I recall this
    code was added recently (in 03 or 04) but cant recall the
    exact semantics.

    For example, can this code be used if some connection does not
    respond to pings ?  From Sec 2.14, I see that this will result
    in a Logout Command with reason_code=2 (target-requested logout).
    There is also some discussion in Sec 6.7.1.2 on this.

    This facility gives rise to race conditions on duplex & buffered
    channels - plus the Async PDU intends to preserve the statSN
    ordering.  [Async is a misnomer :-)]

    Say both initiator & target decide to close a non-responding TCP
    connection_1.  The initiator sends a Login (for conn recovery)
    on some other connection_2.  At the same "time", the target
    sends an Async PDU for c_1 on connection_3.

    By the time Async PDU is delivered, the initiator may well have
    recovered the connection so its going to logout a connection
    which is chugging along hunky-dory.

    In the absence of any synchronized timestamps, it is not possible
    to know if one is responding to an event which has already
    been handled.

    Sec 2.10 :  Version number
    The min & max versions are just plain numbers.  Any plans to
    support major+minor version numbers ?