    RE: I-D ACTION:draft-cavanna-iscsi-crc-vs-cksum-00.txt

    Matt,

    Interesting article, but a comment as usual.  There is very little
    difference between Fletcher-32 and Adler-32 with respect to performance.
    Fletcher Checksum is divided into two (16 bit) pieces, a straight 1's
    complement sum and a higher order sum of the running sums.  The modulo in
    Adler-32 is simply including a subtraction with a conditional branch.  As
    Dafna pointed out, this test is normally done in a predictive manner by
    means of linear coding lessening this difference between Fletcher and Adler
    even further.  Data access in a table lookup required for CRC represents an
    impediment whereas instruction cycles are easy hidden, so either Adler-32 or
    Fletcher-32 will likely see a much larger throughput for software
    implementations.  As Adler-32 is already advocated for SCTP and does not
    represent anything substantially different with respect to performance to
    that of Fletcher-32, I would be interested to understand the differences in
    real-world situations.  Perhaps there is already a history of this
    discussion within the sigtran archives.

    Doug

    > FYI - We put this out quickly to beat the deadline - a better version will
    > be submitted before the final cut-off...
    >
    > -Matt Wakeley
    > Agilent Technologies

    um-00.txt

    Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
    "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
    type "cd internet-drafts" and then
    	"get draft-cavanna-iscsi-crc-vs-cksum-00.txt".

    http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

    Send a message to:
    	mailserv@ietf.org.
    In the body type:
    	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cavanna-iscsi-crc-vs-cksum-00.txt".

    NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
    	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
    	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
    	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
    	how to manipulate these messages.