    RE: iSCSI: Security Enviornments

    David,

    Thank you for the information.  You have made it clear you view iSNS is to
    be the source of authorization.  I fail to understand what limitation exists
    using LDAP directly versus this rehash of DNS and LDAP, but you should
    understand the importance of asking such dumb questions.  Although the SCSI
    target can be programmed to respond with authorization and this is clearly
    within the scope of the T10 group, security management must be able to
    endure device failure.  This implies security is placed safely somewhere
    which contains both authentication and authorization information.  Forgive
    my ignorance, but being a network storage protocol, I assumed maintenance of
    this security scheme would also be network based and outside the scope of
    T10.  Telling the device about these settings would be within their domain.
    Security can be seen as good as the weakest link in the chain.  In this
    case, iSNS is the weak link.  Again, thank you for enduring these dumb
    questions and as you may have guessed, I am neither encouraged or
    discouraged, simply confused.

    Doug